birding-aus

Wildlife boxes

To: <>
Subject: Wildlife boxes
From: "Karen Wendy Franks" <>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 12:31:30 +1100
some very important points to consider when making nest boxes
Always check the source of new material much of what comes into the country as PLANTATION PLY is actually taken from Indonesian rainforests. It would be a tragedy if by creating habitat for our wildlife we were encouraging the destruction of others. Genuine plantation ply is available as an Aust or a NZ product.
Front , back and base should  be Aust. hardwood if possible this can often be sourced as offcuts from timber mills.
Paint should be non toxic Don't paint the front of the box,use several coats on the lid,
On the inside of box put saw cuts or hardwood steps Don't use wire for the ladder.
Hollow Log Homes
wildlife boxes
Alan & Stacey Franks