To: "Paul Taylor" <>
Subject: Zirkeln
From: "Kirrama Wildlife Tours" <>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 07:03:12 +1000
Hi Geoff, Penny and Paul.

Yes,  "zirkeln" is a German word describing a circle and/or circling. There
are actually two words for circle.
' Zirkel'  is one, ' Kreis' the other.
The interesting thing is, that a 'Zirkel' is also a pair of compasses, and
the motion of using that tool describes exactly what Paul found out:
>     Zirkeln (prying movements). A feeding movement for birds in which the
bird inserts its beak in a crevice in the ground, e.g., between grass roots
or under the bark of trees, and then forcefully opens the beak thus
expanding the hole and increasing its access to worms and insects. <

                    Happy Thoughts,

Birding-Aus is on the Web at
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, send the message
"unsubscribe birding-aus" (no quotes, no Subject line)

<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>

The University of NSW School of Computer and Engineering takes no responsibility for the contents of this archive. It is purely a compilation of material sent by many people to the birding-aus mailing list. It has not been checked for accuracy nor its content verified in any way. If you wish to get material removed from the archive or have other queries about the archive e-mail Andrew Taylor at this address: andrewt@cse.unsw.EDU.AU