birding-aus

Re: Developer/environmentalist collaboration, SEQld: Part 2

Subject: Re: Developer/environmentalist collaboration, SEQld: Part 2
From: Peter Woodall <>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 16:19:57 +1000
At 10:44 23/02/2001 +1100, Jill Denning wrote:
>Continuing from previous message:
>

>Well, Bob, if you want to eat, you have to earn a living, and you
>don't have much choice when you look for ways to fund retirement in
>our society. I'm in the same boat as you, but I have no problem with
>it.  And not all capitalists are greedy. Humans are just animals, and
>human behavoiur is not always praiseworthy. I'm not out to change our
>society. I just accept it. And get on with trying to salvage
>something good from the ashes.
>
>Now, having attended to matters which you raised, I want to add that
>you have caused me to think further. The lengthy and complex
>discussions I held with myself, before deciding to embark upon this
>path, were all based upon the premise that I was dealing with the
>certain destruction of a habitat. The approvals to develop had
>already been given  years before I ever saw the site (I first heard
>of Dux in 1990, and then only sketchily). I have only known it as a
>construction site, which became a roost. You have made me look more
>broadly at how I would respond, if I had involvement in an activity
>before any approvals were issued, or destruction occurred. And that
>is an entirely different matter.
>
>I guess I can partly answer that by looking at the work I am doing
>with terns at the other end of the Pumicestone Passage. I see a
>threatened habitat, namely the Caloundra sandbanks. It has not been
>destroyed,  it is a very rich natural asset. It is threatened by
>population pressure, that death by a thousand cuts. I want to
>conserve that habitat for birds for the future. But I realise that
>only good quality information will protect those sandbanks. People
>need to know why they should value those sandbanks. So I spend a year
>gathering data, then I write up the results, and then I start
>pressing buttons in the right quarters to gain my protection. If that
>fails, then I'm buggered. But I don't think like that. I won't fail.

Jill

With your enthusiasm and drive, I'm sure you won't fail!

More power to the birders.

Pete
Dr Peter Woodall                          email =
Division of Vet Pathology & Anatomy
School of Veterinary Science.             Phone = +61 7 3365 2300
The University of Queensland              Fax   = +61 7 3365 1355
Brisbane, Qld, Australia 4072             WWW  = http://www.uq.edu.au/~anpwooda
"hamba phezulu" (= "go higher" in isiZulu)