birding-aus

Black-billed Magpie

To: <>
Subject: Black-billed Magpie
From: "Jo Wieneke" <>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 22:07:17 +1000
Hi All,

After seeing Les Thyer's report last Thursday, of a Black-billed Magpie at
Hay Point, Dave James, Ken Cross and I drove down from Townsville and found
the bird as Les had reported, near the car park. It flew from a dense
poinciana then over the building where we had excellent views of it on the
ground. Later it perched on a light pole for a few minutes before flying to
the top of a stockpile of coal.

Mike Carter, in 'House Crow, why I count it' (Feb 20th)  has reported,?Ship
assistance is no longer a barrier to admission to the national list as it is
now regarded as a normal means of dispersal?.  It goes on to qualify this by
saying that direct human assistance, such as the provision of food or
shelter, without which the bird would have died. '

Perhaps a sympathetic crew did leave scraps around for it. It's long tail
looked in good shape and not as if it had been caged but I'm still not going
to count it!

After seeing the species in Asia, Europe and the US it was still exciting to
see one here and worth the 850km round trip.

Jo Wieneke.