birding-aus

Geelong crake & rail update

To: "Birding-Aus Mail" <>
Subject: Geelong crake & rail update
From: "Lawrie Conole" <>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 10:33:58 +1100
Hi

Edwin Vella and I called in to the Belmont Common swamp in Geelong
(Victoria) about 0830 yesterday morning.  As we walked to the hide we saw 1
Spotless Crake out on the mud.  Once we were in the hide we saw 3 Spotless
Crakes, 1 Buff-banded Rail, 1 Australian Spotted Crake and sundry Latham's
Snipe, Little Grasbirds, Black-fronted Dotterels, White-fronted Chats, etc.
out gallivanting on the drying mud.  Excellent views as usual.

The Spotless Crakes were involved in some interesting display behaviour.
When in contact with each other, they would make their body rather upright
in stance, with head down, and then chase each other slowly in a
stiff-legged goose-stepping gait.  Flat out tail chases were also seen.
Rather comical to view, but presumably a fairly straight forward aggressive
behaviour???

Other highlights of the day included Hooded Plovers and no dog-walkers,
surfers, anglers, mototised hang gliders, etc. at Bancoora Beach near
Torquay.  Also 2 Brolgas at Austin Road lagoons in the western end of the
Western Treatment Complex (Werribee sewage farm).  I know others have seen
Brolgas at Werribee over the last few years, but it was a first for me, and
an impressive sight.

L.

L A W R I E   C O N O L E
2/37 Myrnong Crescent, Ascot Vale, Victoria 3032 AUSTRALIA.
Phone AH (03) 9370 3928; BH (03) 9510 5750; Mobile (0419) 588 993.
E-mail: <>