birding-aus

Charadrius plovers

To: <>
Subject: Charadrius plovers
From: "Mark Grantham" <>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 10:22:00 +0100
OK, so this is not strictly an Australian issue, but perhaps close enough to get away with. I'm currently writing a paper on the status and ID of four Charadrius plovers in Indonesia (Kentish, Javan, Malaysian and Red-capped) and am looking for records. If anyone has any records of these species from Indonesia (particularly eastern Indonesia), I would be grateful for a brief description, date, location etc.. Any additional comments on identification would also be welcome, particularly on Javan Plover - the most neglected species.

Looking at skins, it appears that Red-capped Plover shows toes falling beyond the tail in flight, unlike the other species. Can anyone confirm this? I have spoken to several people who have never heard of this feature, but have also never really looked. Any comments welcome.

Thanks.

Mark Grantham