birding-aus

Pelagic trips off Tasmania in June

To: John Ewen <>, "" <>, 'George Appleby' <>, "" <>, "" <>, "" <>, "" <>, "" <>, 'Brent Stephenson' <>
Subject: Pelagic trips off Tasmania in June
From: Rohan Clarke <>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 16:44:35 +1100
Hi all,
After an excellent pelagic trip off Dunnarley, Tasmania in Jan, many on
board and others on Birding-aus expressed interest in a winter trip or two.
I've now booked the 'Pauletta' for a double header out of Pirates Bay,
Eaglehawk Neck Tas. The dates are Friday 22nd June and Sunday 23rd of June.
By running two trips it improves our chances of getting out and reduces the
risk of completely missing out (especially important for interstate
travelers). Further, if the weather is good to us then two trips improve our
chance of picking up extra goodies. The day off on Sat should provide
sufficient time to recover or go birding before heading out to sea again.
Cost will be $75 to $85 per trip depending on numbers. There will be at
least two experienced seabirders on board. If anyone is interested in
joining us please email me direct (first come first served, although at the
moment there are still quite a few places left).I've attached a list of
species (inc. all nine albs) recorded by Paul Walbridge during a trip on the
same boat in June last year to whet your appetites.
Regards
Rohan

Rohan Clarke
PhD Candidate
'Conservation Biology of the Black-eared Miner'
Department of Zoology
La Trobe University
Bundoora Vic. 3083
Tel 03 9479 1672
Fax 03 94791551
Email

Eaglehawk Neck, Tas Pelagic Trip Report 3 June 2000
Little Penguin 1(1), Wandering Albatross 7(3), Southern Royal Albatross
3(1), Shy Albatross 40(25), Black-browed Albatross, --impavida 10(5),
--melanophris 1(1), --subspecies 1(1), Buller's Albatross 10(2),
Yellow-nosed Albatross 10(3), Grey-headed Albatross 2(1), Sooty Albatross
2(1), Light-mantled Sooty Albatross 2(1), Northern Giant-petrel 5(4), Cape
Petrel 3(3), Great-winged Petrel, --macroptera 20(6), White-headed Petrel
5(1), Fairy Prion 1(1), Grey Petrel 2(1), Sooty Shearwater 2(1),
Short-tailed Shearwater 5(2), Grey-backed Storm-petrel 2(1), Common
Diving-petrel 10(2), Great Skua 1(1), Arctic Jaeger 1(1), Crested Tern
15(5), Australian Gannet 5(2), On Hippolyte Rock, Black-faced Shag 150,
Dominican Gull, Pacific Gull, Silver Gull, Forest Raven