birding-aus

Spotlighting at Katandra Reserve (Erina,NSW) 17th Feb 2001

To: <>
Subject: Spotlighting at Katandra Reserve (Erina,NSW) 17th Feb 2001
From: "Vella" <>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 13:59:57 -0000
Last Saturday, whilst myself and Lorne Johnson spotlighting in the rainforest at Katandra Reserve in NSW Central coast (about 80km north of Sydeny CBD), we heard about 2-3 Sooty Owls, being very vocal for the whole 2 and 1/2 hours we were there (from the very moment we go out of our car till the time we left there. See also my report on Katandra - 13th Jan. 2001, "Spotlighting at Erina and Bobbin Head NSW Jan 2001"). The Owls first betrayed their prescence by a couple of "falling bomb" calls and was followed most of the time by 'high-pitched screams" (quite similar to those of the Lesser Sooty Owl call on the BOC tape - cassette 6) and by rasping calls by possibly a young bird (as that given in the last 12 seconds of the Sooty Owl call on BOC tape - cassette 6). We never played any of the tapes/made any immitations of their call during the time, but quoting these tapes as references for anyone interested. I did manage a brief glimpse of the bird in flight at the time, but the Owls were mainly away from us.

We most likely also heard a Poweful Owl give one or two notes and Tawny Frogmouth, but definately heard a Boobook Owl and Owlet Nightjars. several Sugar Gliders, Mountain Brush-tailed Possums (possibly heard?), Grey-headed Flying fox (feeding on Bangalow Palm fruits), Eastern Froglets (Crinea signifera), Dwarf Green Tree Frogs (Litoria fallax), Leaf Green Tree Frogs (Litoria phyllochroa), Weasel Skink (Saproscincus mustleina) (one found perched on tree sleeping?) and a quite a large red crayfish that Lorne spotted, were also present.

Edwin Vella