birding-aus

A Milestone Penguin

To: "Sean Dooley" <>
Subject: A Milestone Penguin
From: Jill Dening <>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 09:49:03 +1100
But it was a bloody great bird to get for my 600th. As I trudged reluctantly back the eleven kilometres to the car through the heavier rain, and the even heavier blisters, I realised had finally done it, after all these agonising years of major dips, I was finally in the Six Hundred Club, I was now in the Five Penguin Club, and I was now in the "I'll blow two weeks wages to go see a rarity club".

God help me.

Sean,

This was a marvellous read. You write so graphically and enthusiastically. I took every step with you, and related to much of what you said. Congratulations on joining the 600 club.

It can indeed become a burden once you realise you are closing in on that bird number 600. I have never counted the birds I have seen, but know it is over 600, because my husband, James Hall,  has done his own count, and I am only a couple short of his, which must be around 620 by now. James was just a happy birder until the day when a friend pestered him to count all the Australian birds he had seen. It came to 585 - 15 short of that magic number. Friends urged us to get on a pelagic trip, and knock them over quickly, but we still haven't, and still know nothing about pelagic birds. The next 14 were hard-won, as we didn't make any trips to give us a boost. Bird number 600 was almost there half a dozen times, but he kept dipping. Then he came with me on a work trip to Central Queensland, because, like you, he wanted number 600 to be something special. He selected the Eungella Honeyeater (EH). We contacted Marj Andrews, a friend in Mackay and arranged a day's birding, not mentioning anything except a desire to find the elusive EH. This was to be our fourth try for the bird, because our other trips had been at the wrong time of year. This time we had the season right. (EH drops down from the Clarke Range during winter into nearby lower eucalypt forests.) As we wandered nonchalantly around the rainforest with Marj, I admit I could feel the pressure building once we knew we were hearing EH calling nearby.

And then it was there, only a few metres away. Marj was briefly dumbfounded at our over-the-top joy and gratitude, and my affectionate congratulations to James. We sat on the track drinking tea in celebration, surrounded at our feet  by voracious leeches, but caring little for them. It was a great day, and I think Marj felt privileged to have played her part in it. A framed photo of EH hangs on his study wall as a reminder of that happy day.

My advice to birders is don't count, it's better not to put that extra pressure on yourself. Funnily, after 600, the next three fell very quickly for James, and all within our home region, without his even trying.

Cheers,

Jill

--
Jill Dening