birding-aus

Swiftlet ID..

Subject: Swiftlet ID..
From: "Michael Ramsey" <>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 16:46:26 +1100
Hello all,

I've recently gone through all my birding records and have found a few unsolved cases that I need some help with. They all relate to swiftlet species in the Pacific, I was there about two years ago.

1) Noumea New Caledonia
Bright white rump, rounded wings, grey belly, darker on top.
(White-rumped Swiftlet?). Above buildings and beach.
2) Port Vila Vanuatu
a)Glossy with white belly and rump. Around waterfall and in canopy of forest.
b) Grey all over with rounded wings (may have had white rump)Around wharf
c) Dark charcoal grey with pointed wings.Around wharf
3)a)Espiritu Santo Vanuatu as 2)a) but larger and brighter.
In rainforest.
b)as 2)c)
Also around Port Vila in Vanuatu I observed a Kingfisher, cuckoo-shrike like bird , woodswallow and white-eye species. Has anyone observed in the area in the past and would know what these species would most likely to be. And to add again on a small island at the very southern end of Vanuatu I observed a black and red myzomela honeyeater (maybe Crimson Myzomela) and a white-eye that was different to the one in Port Vila. I know these descriptions are vague but I did not take very good notes at the time.

Thanks for you help.
M.Ramsey