birding-aus

Mt Superbus Atlas

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Mt Superbus Atlas
From: Laurie & Leanne Knight <>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 19:00:34 +1000
I went for a stroll up Mt Superbus on Saturday to survey another site on
the Scenic Rim that appears to have been unatlassed.  For the record,
Superbus is pretty much the highest point in SEQ, close to the
intersection of the MacPherson Range and the Great Divide and well-known
in bushwalking circles as being the resting place of a Lincoln Bomber.

Given that the local newspaper [a tabloid dressed up as a broadsheet]
had included a description of the climb up Superbus in its outdoor
section the previous day, I was concerned that there might be a other
people wandering up the route the old rabbit fence used to take [it was
removed a couple of years ago].

Anyhow, the weather was fine, and as usual, I had the place to myself.
As there hadn't been too many people up the route in recent weeks, the
ridge wasn't as slippery as it could be.

While the pigeons were relatively few and far between [just a wonga and
brown c-dove] there were plenty of black-faced monarchs and albert's
lyrebirds [flushed a couple and heard a lot more].

Superbus is a bit of a massif that is covered by a lovely bushwalker
friendly rainforest.  It would be ideal scrub bird habitat if there were
nothofagus trees there, but alas, there appeared to be none.  There were
a couple of nice "picture windows" on top of rock slabs with respective
views of Scenic Rim to the north [all the way to Mt Castle and Beau
Brummel] and Barney, Ballow, Lindsay and Levers Plateau to the east.

On the way home, I stopped to atlas a wetland adjacent to the Minto
Crags.  There were lots of straw-necked ibis and spur-winged plovers
hanging about and the usual swans, ducks, teal, grebes and coots on the
water, as well as a few stilts.  Wandering along the fenceline beside
the road, I also came across a coucal making most uncoucal like croaking
calls, and section of waist high grass complete with cistacolas, tawny
grassbirds and a CB mannikin.

The interesting thing, is that apart from t crows were the only birds in
common on survey sites only 10 km apart as the corvid flies.

Regards, Laurie.