birding-aus

Hovels Creek

Subject: Hovels Creek
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 19:08:43 +1200
I think most of the upper Hovell's Creek area is on private property.  There
has been a local battle going on for a while because a multinational company
wants to put a huge egg farm beside the creek.

There may be access to the creek further down where it flow through Lara.

The creek flows into Limeburners Lagoon and thence into Corio Bay.  Limeburners
is a good spot to see a number of waterbirds and there is a little salt marsh
which occasionally throws up some surprises.  Orange-bellied Parrots used to be
here but haven't been sighted for about 20 years.  I'm sure they'll show up
again one day.  This end is easily accessible via Shell Parade and Foreshore
Road (in front of Geelong Grammar School).  Park at the yacht club and walk or
cycle along the superb bike track- it normally goesall the way to Lara but the
freeway underpass is often closed now due to upgrade of the Geelong-Melbourne
Freeway.

Species I have seen at Limeburners Lagoon in the last few years include Little,
Great and Intermediate Egrets, Royal & Yellow-billed Spoonbill, Black-winged
Stilt, Peregrine & Brown Falcon, Whistling Kite, Swamp Harrier,
Black-shouldered Kite, Aust Shelduck, Hoary-headed Grebe, Little Penguin (only
twice), Arctic Jaeger and Caspian Tern.  That's all off the top of my head -
I'm sure there are plenty of other interesting species.  It's a great spot - a
perfect place to finish off a day at the You Yangs themselves!

Cheers

Russell

> > The Werribee Wagtails hope to go birding to Hovels Creek behind the You
> > Yangs but have not found entry except by climbing fences which does not
> seem
> > legal or a good idea.  Would be delighted if anyone familiar with the area
> > could assist with directions.
> > Shirley Cameron

---
Russell Woodford