birding-aus

Roger Hicks, feral animals

To: "birding Aus" <>
Subject: Roger Hicks, feral animals
From: Goodfellow <>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 07:32:13 +0000
To Simon Kennedy, Bob Forsyth, Margaret Cameron and Hugo Phillips, thank
you for your help with Roger Hicks' address.

I have a reply from Parks and Wildlife re feral animals.
> Amendments to the Territory Parks and Wildlife Conservation Act (TPWCA)
> were made in 2000 witht the Act coming into force on 6th December.
>
> Section 54 of this Act allows an escaped prohibited entrant to be
> (automatically) regarded as a feral animal and allows the controls on
> feral animals as outlined in division 4 of the Act to be immediately
> applied. The intention is to allow swift recapture or destruction of the
> animals if they escape to prevent any feral populations becoming
> established in the NT.
>
> However, under section 52 of the Act there is an allowance for certain
> animals to be regarded as 'not prohibited entrants'. This is intended to
> allow stock animals and those commonly kept as pets to be freely brought
> in and out of the NT without the need for a permit. If there was no such
> list then all horses, cattle etc would need permits and this would be
> unworkable. It should be realised that this list does contain animals that
> do constitute a threat to the NT's biological diversity by being
> significant feral animals (eg. pigs).
>
> It follows that if an animal is listed on the 'not prohibited entrant'
> list then the automatic listing of that animal on escape as a feral as
> explained above cannot be applied. This would obviously negate the very
> useful intention contained within section 54 for animals that can become
> serious pests.
>
> The only way to prevent this situation is to list those animals on the
> 'not prohibited entrants' list also on the feral animals list. Then there
> is no doubt that should these animals escape they can be treated as feral
> animals and removed quickly.
>
> This does mean that some animals will be so listed as ferals where there
> are minimal concerns that they would actually constitute a threat if they
> escaped but the alternative would be to remove such animals from the 'not
> prohibited animals' list which would mean that every animal of the species
> would then require an import permit, a permit to keep and an export
> permit. as explained above these animals are popular pets and such
> paperwork would be unachievable and would dilute effort in regulating
> species of immediate conservation concern.
>
> Finally it should also be remembered that species indigenous to Australia
> but not found in the NT can also become serious pests if brought here. One
> of the greatest threats to genetic diversity is the 'homogenisation' of
> species by mixing animals of the same species from different populations
> within the range of the whole population. As far as possible therefore we
> should attempt to minimise such mixing wherever we can- hence the
> inclusion of some Australian species on the feral animal list.
>

> So it seems any of you so inclined can bring both your pussy cat and
Golden-shouldered Parrot into the Territory on the understanding that if
either escape, they may be destroyed. Mind you I didn't know
Golden-shouldered Parrot was a common cage bird and a 'popular pet', but
there you go! I don't know everything after all!
Denise

Ph. 08 89818492
PO Box 39373, WINNELLIE, NT 0821, AUSTRALIA

www.earthfoot.org
www.2DocStock.com
www.local.abc.net.au/topend