birding-aus

Cannon Netting and Re: Good news! (!)Night Parrots!

To: "Marilyn Davis" <>
Subject: Cannon Netting and Re: Good news! (!)Night Parrots!
From: "Andrew Geering" <>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 20:12:25 +1030
Dear Marilyn

Quite a list of questions.  I'll try my best.

What are the standard code of ethics, which governs cannon netting?
Cannon netting is controlled by the Australian Bird and Bat Banding
Authority (ABBS).  You need to have an A-class banding permit (ie. be a
project leader), and then have a separate endorsement for cannon netting.
You need a lot of experience, and well thought out project objectives to be
given a licence to cannon net.  Cannon nets are potentially dangerous to
humans as well as birds.  You need a lot of training.

How close are the birds when the net is fired?
Maybe about 3 m.

How many birds are too many or not enough to fire the nets?
Depends on the size and experience of the team, and the types of birds you
are netting.

What are the prescribed maximum periods of time the birds are held before
release?
Depends on the species that were captured, and the weather conditions.  With
Godwits, I don't think it is advisable to hold on to them for more than a
couple of hours.  People looking after the holding cages normally check for
signs of capture myopathy.

What are the standards that must be met relating to how assistants
participate?
If you band, then you are going to need some type of banding permit, and be
in the company of an A-class bander (always present anyway).  There is
normally a job for all levels of experience.  Beginners can weigh birds.  It
takes some experience to untangle a bird.  Beginners look after the running
duties.

What weather conditions are not acceptable?
Strong winds can complicate things.  A gust of wind may flatten the angle of
projection, and cause physical injuries.

What qualified veterinary assistance is on hand to attend to injured birds?
The QWSG has been fortunate to have the assistance of a very qualified vet.
She trained us in basic first aid for the birds, such as crop-injection for
administering fluids.

What accountability and public reporting mechanisms are there when birds are
killed and injured?
I don't think there are any formal requirements.  However, in the QWSG, we
take detailed notes of each trip, including weather conditions, angles of
the cannons, mortalities, reasons for the mortalities etc.  It is all part
of being a good scientist.  I can assure you that it is hard to keep it a
secret when things do go wrong.  If people do not take due care, they
quickly develop a bad reputation, and this reflects on the whole group.

What happens during the worst cannon netting events and what caused them to
go wrong?
As mentioned before, wind is a problem, as it can flatten a net.  Sometimes
the tide comes up further than the tide tables suggest.  Wind direction can
have a bearing on the final tide height.  You have to set the nets at low
tide.  You don't want too much water in the capture area at the time of
firing so as to minimise drownings.  This is where experience is very
important in avoiding problems.

What is the average mortality from all cannon netting exercises including
those events that went horribly wrong?
As mentioned in previous emails, the average mortality is low.  I would
suggest that 4% is a maximum on a very bad day, and this does not happen at
all that often.  In recent years, we have had trip upon trip where we have
had no mortalities.  I can assure you that we are all saddened by
mortalities, and do alot of soul-searching when it does happen.

Are there any quality sanctuaries or no go areas where concentrations of
waders can get refuge from these activities?
I don't think so.  In Moreton Bay, we generally move around, so as not to
net in the same location more than twice in a season.

Are there any favourable seasons when flocking waders are protected from
netting.
I don't think so.  People are generally keenly aware of the stress caused by
netting.  Papers have been published in The Stilt looking at some of the
more subtle consequences of netting eg. weight loss.  I have not
participated in an AWSG expedition.  However, when they have advertised the
trips, they have always stated clearly what their research objectives are.
They don't do these expeditions without putting a lot of thought in.

What reviews are held to examine the research purpose and practice of cannon
netting?
The ABBS requires you to renew your licence annually, and pay a significant
amount of money.  They always require you to state your research objectives.

I hope I have addressed your questions.