birding-aus

Long-tailed Koel

To: <>
Subject: Long-tailed Koel
From: "The Dam Lamb Service Clan" <>
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2001 21:09:39 +1100
Received a call this morning from a resident of Maleny not previously known to me, but known to another local birder. This person reported seeing a Long-tailed Koel in his backyard ,next to rainforest east of the Obi Obi Creek on the Blackall Range, whilst having breakfast this morning.At his request I went around but the bird had gone before my arrival, and despite an extensive search couldn't be relocated. The resident had identified the bird from a (unstated) field guide and commented on the white streaks on its head.

   On returning home I was able to find reference to this bird only in my1986 Slater where it is described as a "very rare migrant to east coast during migration from NZ to islands to north of Aust." It is not mentioned in my editions of Pizzey, nor Simpson & Day for Aust. mainland (is mentioned for Norfolk and ?Lord Howe Islands). No mention in Readers Digest , nor in Photographic Index volume.

    I am intrigued! How frequently are these birds seen on the east coast? Why are they not in field guides other than Slater? Or rather, why are they in the'86 edition of Slater and not in more recent publications? How likely are they to be confused with a female Common Koel? ( I must admit I was surprised to re-read the description of the female Common Koel and (re-)learn it had a black head and stripe.Try as I may I cannot visualize this feature on any of the approx.6 female koels I estimate I've seen in the past 6 years)

   When do they normally undertake their northward migration, and do they island-hop or fly in one stretch? We have certainly had some wild and windy weather in southern Qld. recently which could have pushed a northward-flying bird westwards to the east coast.

  Would appreciate any info. or thoughts from Koel experts out there. It may pay for SEQ birders to be alert for possible sightings???

        Russ Lamb, Maleny, SEQ