birding-aus

Kamikaze Duck

To: <>
Subject: Kamikaze Duck
From: "Tony Russell" <>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 20:49:30 +1030
Ha, terrific !   Kamikaze, that's the way I like 'em done.

Well, I always hit them head first, I can't chew too well with my feet.
 Gourmet duck eater.

You wrote:

Our neighbour swears that this story is true.

The events were observed by her father in the 20s or 30s on a property near Cowra. He was standing on the edge of a small, natural pond. In the pond, in very shallow water were two ducklings (Pacific BD), very young ones which couldn't fly. Standing on the bank above them with hostile intent was the local moggy. Our neighbour's father was just about to scare the cat away when suddenly something shot past him very fast, it hit the cat and both the it and cat disappeared into some vegetation. After a moment or so the cat emerged from the far side, running away as quickly as possible, and from the from the front the mother (or father) duck appeared, rather battered but still standing.

Has anybody come across this tactic before on the part of Pacific BDs? (I want to know whether the duck hit the cat feet first or head first!)

cheers

John Leonard

Ministry of Foreign Affairs & Trade Powered by MOFAT