birding-aus

Cattle Egret Breeding

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Cattle Egret Breeding
From: "sonnenburg" <>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 21:58:38 +1000
In the late 80's I was part of a banding (ringing) program involving Cattle Egrets (Ardea ibis in Australia).  My site was a heronry on the northside of Brisbane, Australia.  During the last decade the size of the heronry in a Melaleuca swamp has reduced dramatically from over 10,000 nests in the mid 80's.  It is now deserted and the birds have moved to a new site about one kilometre away.  It is part of a reserve known as the Deagon Wetlands, and the birds are nesting in an area known as Third Lagoon, close to Sandgate.  This years breeding is almost complete but there appear to have been several thousand nests.

However the birds are nesting in the reeds at the waters edge and not in any type of trees or other bushes.  They have been doing this in increasing numbers over a few years.  I am planning to write up this behaviour but would like any comments regarding this before I do. Have others observed  Cattle Egrets nesting in this manner elsewhere in the world?

Cheers

Roy Sonnenburg
Birding Services Brisbane