birding-aus

Belmont Common: Spotless Crake & Friends

Subject: Belmont Common: Spotless Crake & Friends
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 23:15:17 +1200
Hi everyone

I had a very quick look at Belmont Common (Geelong, Vic) today on the way home
from work, mainly hoping to see the Spotless Crake.  I've seen them here a few
years ago but it's a rather nice species to get on the yearlist in January.
The bird impressed me greatly by appearing briefly on the mud in front of the
hide about a minute after I had arrived!

Other obliging birds inlcluded a Latham's Snipe over on the right hand side,
just under the roadway, quite oblivious to everything about it, and a
Black-fronted Dotterel that flew a few laps of the area in front of the hide
before landing right in front.  A Purple Swamphen tried to chase it off with
some energetic wing-flapping, but the dotterel kept returning.  Why would a big
fat swamphen worry about something as small (relatively) as a dotterel???

I was only in the hide for 5 or 6 minutes today but I recorded almost as many
species as I have on any 20-minute atlas session here.  The most unusual thing
was the number of passerines in front of the hide: Red-browed Finches,
White-fronted Chats, Superb Fairy-Wrens and at least 5 or 6 Wagtails (sadly,
just Willies).  I didn't notice an unusual number of insects - perhaps they'd
all just been eaten.

Sorry this is about common birds and probably only of interest to Geelong
locals, but I love the way a well-known spot can throw up surprises.  This spot
is always worth stopping at.

Russell