birding-aus

Meals on wheels

To: <>, "Clive Meadows" <>
Subject: Meals on wheels
From: "Trevor Hampel" <>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 20:41:54 +1030
Clive Meadows wrote:

> Last week we briefly stopped in at the Coachwood picnic area within
> Washpool NP north eastern NSW. No sooner had I parked the car when a small
> group of White-Browed Scrubwrens including young appeared. They
immediately
> hopped up in under the car and fed off the dead insects in and around the
> radiator.  Having finished they hopped off and flew back into the
> bushes.Little opportunistics I thought. However another car arrived about
> 30 minutes later and within seconds the scrubwrens were back and repeating
> the performance, this time also checking the windscreen wipers.It would
> appear that this group of birds has learnt that a car brings a veritable
> banquet and they hang in and around the car park in anticipation.
>
> Rgds Clive

I observed the same behaviour with Eastern Yellow Robins and Superb Fairy
Wrens at Pritchards camping area in the Glenelg River National Park SW
Victoria several years ago.

At the same place late in 1999 I observed Silvereyes feeding on biscuit
crumbs left on a picnic table. It did not seem to concern the birds that we
were having a cuppa and afternoon tea only a metre away.

Trevor Hampel