birding-aus

*Anchors away*

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: *Anchors away*
From: John Gamblin <>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 23:41:55 -0800 (PST)
G'day All,
I just got this in from friends sailing the Gippsland
lakes. The captain of the yacht "Hero" Tony Harkin
tells me he noticed this at a relatively NEW mooring
location.

Tony Harkin states:

Whilst his craft was berthed for the first night at
the Paynesville progress jetty he noticed a Nankeen
Night Heron land on the jetty just under the furthest
light.

It then proceded to walk along the railing until it
reached his yacht's mooring ropes, where upon it
walked along the ropes to his craft? nice friendly
greeting from the locals he thought! it then went to
the forehead end where it perched for a while staring
down at the shaft of light that pierced the water
between his craft and the others. Seconds later it
tilted it's body forward pushing itself into the
water?. Returning 3 to 5 seconds later with a good
sized fish? ...... It then resumed watching for more
fish?

A week later at a different location he witnessed the
same event? it could be the same bird but this time it
was walking along the decks of moored boats?

Is this a case of birds using human changes to the
local environment? should we think about starting a TV
series about bird fishing :-]

A full write up on this item has been promied to me
anyone that would like it just send me an email.

A list of the birds of the Gippsland lakes is soon to
follow.

John A. Gamblin