birding-aus

Terns, Caloundra, SEQld

To: Peter Woodall <>
Subject: Terns, Caloundra, SEQld
From: Jill Dening <>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 21:17:55 +1100
Please, please, when its finished write up the results for publication in the
Sunbird.  This, or a similar publication, is where they should go.
Don't just offer it to anyone who wants it, YOU should complete your fine
work by writing it up and publishing it yourself.

Don't worry Pete, I'll be doing just that. And I appreciate you
support. I've avoided writing things up for years, but I have more
confidence these days. Some long time ago I realised what a treasure
of terns we had in Caloundra, and that apparently no one but I
understood this. Amazingly, all the local birdos remained in
ignorance of the fact, and even when told, never showed much interest
in seeing these flocks, possibly because it involved hiring a boat. I
also saw that Caloundra, as an increasing recreational destination,
and the sandbanks were on a collision course. I decided that rather
than just trumpet hot air around the place, I would spend a year
logging the entire story, get it published, and then start lobbying
for better management. I also believe there could be potential for
the terns to be part of the eco-tourism industry, but only with
careful management. The management has to come first. I want to raise
the money, after this year, to get a high quality, fixed community
telescope erected at the elevated headland at Bulcock Beach - such as
you see for seal watching at Phillip Island - because I believe that
the community cannot learn to appreciate something unless they can
see it. I also plan to move later into a community education phase so
that the locals can learn about this treasure on their doorstep.

In fact a year is not the entire story. Years vary for terns. This
year is a small year for Little Terns, but monumental for Common
Terns. Years ago I asked Jiro Kikkawa why this fluctuation occurs,
and he shrugged his shoulders, and replied, "I only know that it is
so."

Cheers,

Jill
--