birding-aus

Edithvale Wetlands, Victoria

Subject: Edithvale Wetlands, Victoria
From: S Cooney <>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 19:17:33 +1100
Hi Birders,

I had hide duty on Saturday, another lovely way to avoid working around the house, or doing anything for that matter.  Nothing very exciting, although the Latham's Snipe was very easy to see for most of the day which was nice and a Spotless Crake appeared just before home-time at 5, the first I've seen there.

I did notice two things, one was the amusing way in which the Spotted Crake would bully, an disturb the roosting Sharpies.  Every time it went past them it would run up and disturb them, making them get out of the way!  The Crake was in fact smaller than the Sharpies, but I thought it was interesting as they were certainly not disturbed by the Snipe that was foraging in the same area.

Another thing was that this year there have been no Whiskered Terns at Edithvale.  I recorded them on the 27th of November last year on one day, but in 1999 they arrived in late September and were recorded almost every day that the hide was open until the end of Feb!  I wonder if Werribee, or other usual haunts are experiencing a similar state of affairs?

Bird list follows,

Stuart

Little Pied Cormorant   Phalacrocorax melanoleucos
Australian Grebe        Tachybaptus novaehollandiae
Black Swan      Cygnus atratus
Pacific Black Duck      Anas superciliosa
Chestnut Teal   Anas castanea
Australian Spotted Crake        Porzana fluminea
Spotless Crake  Porzana tabuensis
Dusky Moorhen   Gallinula tenebrosa
Purple Swamphen Porphyrio porphyrio
Eurasian Coot   Fulica atra
White-faced heron       Ardea novaeholandiae
Australian White Ibis   Threskiornis molucca
Yellow-billed Spoonbill Platalea regia
Latham's Snipe  Gallinaga hardwickii
Sharp-tailed Sandpiper  Calidris acuminata
Black-winged Stilt      Himantopus himantopus
Silver Gull     Laurs novaehollandiae
Australian Hobby        Falco longipennis
Spotted Turtle-dove     Streptopelia chinensis
Supurb Fairy-wren       Malurus cyaneus
Magpielark      Grallina cyanoleuca
Welcome Swallow Hirundo neoxena
Clamourous Reed-warbler Acrocephalus stentoreus
Little Grassbird        Megalurus gramineus
European Greenfinch     Carduelis chloris
European Goldfinch      Carduelis carduelis
Common Myna     Acridotheres tristis
Common Starling Sturnus vulgaris

(probably spelling mistakes here, I did them off the top of my head)