birding-aus

Spotless Crake

To: <>
Subject: Spotless Crake
From: "Lynn Jenkin" <>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 13:08:18 +1100
Hi all

Further to Alan Stuarts sighting of the Spotless Crake at the Shortland Wetland Centre ( near Newcastle), I found it at the same sight ( Ribbon Swamp , on the way to the Egret Tower ) about 10 days ago . It wandered out from the reeds a couple of times and I was able to get good long views of it. I went back today as the wetlands are rapidly drying up and soon located it in "the dam" behind the visitors centre. I studied and filmed it for about 20 minutes as it picked its way back and forth along the edge of the water. I was able to get pretty close and it was not bothered by my presence. Also saw several Lathams Snipe out in the open feeding, both here and at Seaham Swamps, about 20kms further north

Cheers

Dick Jenkin