birding-aus

Eagle-killed Salmon

To: John Gamblin <>
Subject: Eagle-killed Salmon
From: Brian Fleming <>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 14:28:50 +1100
I DID forget to tell you "my news" last night on the
> phone afterall - on Saturday last I had Eagle-killed
> salmon! no kidding darling - my neice's boyfriend saw
> an Eagle catching a salmon, and when the eagle saw
> him, it let the salmon go. He picked it up, but gave
> half back for the Eagle, and I had some of the rest
> for dinner!
Dear John - Thanks for sharing this tale.
I haven't had a chance to check the reference but if my memory is
correct, there is another example in the Venerable Bede's Anglo-Saxon
History. Circa 700 AD or thereabouts.
  Another early English Saint, probably Saint Cuthbert, set out on a
journey with young Bede, taking no supplies because the Lord would
provide.  Sure enough they saw an eagle (probably White-tailed Eagle or
else an Osprey) which had caught a fish. The Saint said, "See what our
handmaid has caught for us" and the young man picked up the fish. He was
then ordered to cut off enough for them and to leave the rest for the
Eagle.
  Bede was quite scientific and gave a much better explanation of the
tides and their relation to the phases of the moon than any classical
author. He had the advantage of living next door to the North Sea. I
rather think the Pope has declared him a Saint in recent years.
Anthea Fleming