birding-aus

Kakapo web site

To: <>
Subject: Kakapo web site
From: "Karen Pearson" <>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 16:35:07 +1100

David said:
> There is a web site on the New Zealand Kakapo recovery program at
> http://www.kakaporecovery.org.nz/index1.html

Brilliant site.  I liked the comment made by Douglas Adams.  I presume of
the "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" fame (sounds like something he'd say,
anyhow).

"The kakapo is a bird out of time. If you look one in its large, round,
greeny-brown face, it has a look of serenely innocent incomprehension that
makes you want to hug it and tell it that everything will be all right,
though you know that it probably will not be." - Douglas Adams, British
author, 1990.

As it turns out, things may be looking up for the Kakapo !!

I was very impressed with the conservation work I observed in NZ recently.
Not only is the Offshore Island conservation system that I've read about
(being used with the Kakapo) working well but now the Mainland Island
concept, of which I saw a great example at Nelson Lakes National Park which
endeavours to preserve and promote native species;

http://www.doc.govt.nz/cons/showcase/rotoiti.htm

It was interesting to see and read about the work in progress - mainly, in
this case, against introduced wasps which compete for the honeydew from the
beech trees with native birds.  Going from the amount of birds we heard and
saw I can confirm the programes success.

Cheers,
Karen
Hampton, Vic.