birding-aus

Trip Report WA

Subject: Trip Report WA
From: allan benson <>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 15:20:31 -0800
Highlights of a trip to South Western Australia from the 3/1/01-12/01/01
were as follows:

Five of my Eight target species were seen- Noisy Scrubbird, Western
Bristlebird, Rock Parrot, Short-tailed black Cockatoo and Blue Breasted
Fairy-Wren.

Noisy Scrubbird was seen on the first morning at Two Peoples Bay near
Albany.   It was an extremely lucky sighting on the firebreak on the
hill above Two Peoples Bay. I saw the bird?s tail in a bush about 15 cm
above the ground and about 10 cm into the bush as it was calling. As I
shifted my position (I was only 2.5 metres away) to get a better look it
dived back into the bush showing its head and back. The next day I went
to the same spot and the Scrubbird ?followed? me along the firebreak
calling continuously. At one stage it crossed the firebreak within 5
metres of me. The firebreak is 10-12metres wide and I only caught the
impression of a dark shape in my peripheral vision. This is a very hard
bird to see!!

I had 10 good views of the Western Bristlebird mostly at Little Beach in
the vicinity of the toilets. A pair of bird moves down the hill and
across the roadway each morning  but it means an early start as the
birds are well down toward the beach by 6am.

4 Rock Parrots were seen in the pm at Middleton Beach feeding in the
dune right next to a very busy dog exercise area. Another 10 were seen
in flight. 20+  Rock Parrots were seen at Little Beach one morning
feeding in the flowering heath on the track down from the car park.

All Black Cockies seen well were the Short-billed type. This included
birds at Cape Leuwin, Margaret River and around Albany.

Blue-breasted Fairy-wren was seen at the main dam at Dryandra. Only a
fleeting glimpse obtained of the male but females seen very well for
prolonged periods to ensure positive ID.

The total list for the trip was a surprisingly low 116.

Other Highlights;

- 3 Spotted Nightjar at Little Beach Two Peoples Bay. Roosting on the
road at 4.30 am but not there 9 pm that night.

20+ Elegant Parrots on the road into Two People Bay.

Pair of Boobook Owls near Bluff Knoll Cafe in Sterling Ranges NP.

Flock of Purple-crowned Lorikeets at the Tree Top Walk at Walpole.

3 Bush Stone Curlews at the Lions Club Village at Dryandra.

7 Red-tailed Black Cockatoos on Albany highway north of North Bannister.

I dipped on 3 species- Little Shearwater which was always a long shot,
Western Whipbird  and Red-eared Firetail. The firetail was very
frustrating. Frank O?Connor?s notes list the firetail at virtually very
site in the SW and I even went to Wugong Dam twice with absolutely no
luck. I tried the Phil Hansbro method twice for the Western Whipbird.
The first morning they were already calling when I got there and the
second morning they weren?t calling at all probably because it was so
windy. I probably should have tried Fitzgerald National Park but the
family were not that keen the drive 2 hours each way.

I was disappointed not to get the Long -billed Black Cockatoo and
Western Corella to reconfirm previous sightings.

Non Birding Highlights were:

Watching Windsurfers surf 5 metres waves and surfers 3-4 metres waves at
Margaret River. Awesome!!!

Jewel Cave near Augusta

Whaleworld at Albany

The Gap/Natural Arch and the Coastal Scenery near Albany

The gardens of Voyager winery at Margaret River.

My 15 year old son buying No Friends shorts at EBB (Exclusively Body
Boarding ) at Scarborough. He thought it was great.

I need to acknowledge and thank FranK O?Connor for his excellent notes
from his website which made a lot of the above possible.

I will be writing a more detailed account of the trip  for my personal
notes. If you would like a copy or a full bird please  email me.

Allan

--
Allan Benson
8 Sherston Close Niagara Park NSW Australia