birding-aus

Westernport and Peninsula Protection Council Inc. THIS SUNDAY

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Westernport and Peninsula Protection Council Inc. THIS SUNDAY
From: John Gamblin <>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 15:47:49 -0800 (PST)
This is a forward from Sandy Milne who asked me to ask
inform BA members who live on the Mornington Peninsula
to please take note:

I recieved this email yesterday.
John A. Gamblin

Subject: AGM  -  Westernport and Peninsula Protection
Council Inc. THIS SUNDAY

To all Interested Persons,

Attached is the Invitation to the AGM this Sunday,
14th January, 2001 of the Westernport and Peninsula
Protection Council for Sandy Milne, D Weinstein

The Annual General Meeting of the Westernport and
Peninsula Protection Council Inc will be held at 10.30
am on Sunday 14 January 2001 in Balnarring Hall
(Melway 193 D5)

We are privileged to have as our guest speaker Chris
Smyth Marine Campaign Officer, Victorian National
Parks
Association. His subject will be 'Proposed Marine
National Parks for Westernport and their implications'

The Victorian National Parks Association was
originally formed by users and supporters of
terrestrial National Parks, but in the nineties
attention turned to the urgent needs of the marine
environment for similar protected areas: 'no go' areas
to be known as Marine National Parks. VNPA has led the
State in campaigning for MNP's and WPPC has worked
closely with them.

The result so far has been a recommendation by the
Environment Conservation Council for three MNP's in
Westernport, and a total of twelve along the Victorian
coastline. Whether the government will adopt the
recommendations when they consider them early in the
New Year remains to be seen. Lobbying against the
Parks continues unabated, and much may depend on how
effectively those of us who think MNP's are a good
idea lobby our Ministers and local members.

So it is very timely that Chris Smyth, as the VNPA's
Marine Campaign Officer, will describe for us what
Marine National Parks are and why they are very
desirable, how successful they have been in other
places, and how best to lobby for adoption of the
ECC's recommendations.

Chris' seventeen years as a geography teacher got him
deeply interested in the natural environment, and ten
years ago he left teaching for full time involvement
in conservation, working for the Gould League, the
Merri Creek Management Committee and the Australian
Conservation Foundation, before taking up his current
position with VNPA. Chris will discuss the special
relevance of Marine National Parks to Westernport, and
question the continuing enthusiasm for environmentally
risky port development in a bay whose outstanding
natural values and sensitivities are already
recognised internationally under the Ramsar
convention.

It has been a busy and disturbing year, and as usual
we will give an account of our activities.

All are welcome!

Please continue your support and bring some friends to
swell the ranks. As ever, we need new workers to join
our committee or help in other ways.

There are many interesting and rewarding jobs to be
done to preserve our precious natural assets in an era
of immense, uncaring pressures.

Perhaps your skills are just what we need.

Westernport and Peninsula Protection Council Inc.

Forgive me for this Russell and all but I had a very
late warning of this. The items planned and the issues
discussed for Western Port will effect bay bird
nesting sites. The waters muddy.

John A. Gamblin