birding-aus

Mt. Banks.

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Mt. Banks.
From: "Bruce Cox" <>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 10:46:31 +1100
Hi All.

Yesterday I spent most of the day birding and walking at Mt. Banks in
Sydney' Blue Mountain area. Mt. Banks is on  Bell's Line of Road about 100
to 110K. west of the Sydney C.B.D. It is a heath clad sandstone mountain
capped with basalt which supports tall eucalypt trees and heavy understory
at the summit. Mt. Banks has spectacular views of the Grose River valley as
well a the surrounding countryside. There are some nice rock formations.

My bird list for Mt. Banks is 45 species, not a big list but some nice
birds.Yesterday I saw or heard a fair selection of these:-Grey Currawong,
Crescent Honeyeater, Tawny-crowned Honeyeater,Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoo,
Gang Gang, Pilotbird heard at two locations and the highlight of the
day--two Beautiful Firetails at their nest in a Small Leafed Melaleuca, they
were in and out of the nest and very faithful to the nest tree and general
area so I suspect it was a breeding nest and not a roosting nest.

Mt. Banks is a great walk on a cool day, if you visit in summer take water,
a good hat and the Aeroguard for the flies which were the only thing that
spoilt an otherwise perfect day.

Bruce.

Bruce Cox.
48 Rangers Retreat Rd. Frenchs Forest.