birding-aus

Morwell N.P., Victoria

Subject: Morwell N.P., Victoria
From: S Cooney <>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 18:00:33 +1100

Hi Birders,

Twenty minutes for lunch at the Morwell National Park today in stifling heat showed me enough birds to suggest that on a cooler day I should go on one of the nature walks.  I might have added a Goshawk to this list, but while the call was familiar, I am not quite sure.

Probably the highlight was a very hot Koala that was spread out on a tree, hugging it in a cross formation, legs and arms spread to allow maximum air flow, I know how he felt.

Stuart

List follows:

Morwell National Park, Victoria, 11/1/01 (38 21'40"s 145 23'39"e)

Crimson Rosella Platycercus elegans
Sulphur-crested Cockatoo        Cacatua galerita
Laughing Kookaburra     Dacelo novaeguineae
White-throated Treecreeper      Cormobates leucophaeus
Superb Fairy-Wren       Malurus cyaneus
Striated Thornbill      Acanthiza lineata
Lewin's Honeyeater      Meliphaga lewinii
Yellow-faced Honeyeater Lichenosotmus chrysops
Grey Fantail    Rhipidura fulignosa
Australian Magpie       Gymnorhyna tibicen
Red-browed Finch        Neophema temporalis
Common Blackbird        Turdus merula