birding-aus

urgent call

Subject: urgent call
From: Dorothy Window <>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 17:46:30 +1000
Question:  When does a bowerbird become a sitting duck?
Answer:  When it lives in Queensland.
The bowerbirds urgently need your help.  I hope everyone on birding-aus
has found the time to write to the Queensland Minister for Environment &
Heritage, voicing their profound concerns about permits that have been
issued for the taking of these unique animals.  Contact details for the
Minister's department  were on birding-aus posting "Bowerbird Killing
Protocol" 4 Jan 2001.
The local (Cairns) Channel 9 news bulletin is expected to run a story on
the bowerbirds in this evening's news.
Rumours are rife that permits have been granted for the taking of more
bowerbirds.  What other permits have been issued?  We need to know the
facts before it is too late. There are still 7 Spotted Bowerbirds to be
taken - from a National Park!!  This is clearly an outrage.
This current dark chapter in Australian ornithology makes me wonder how
many of our wild birds have been taken over the years for scientific
experimentation.
I cannot even bring myself to imagine the suffering experienced by these
majestic creatures as they were plucked from their territories.
A very sad Dot in FNQ.