birding-aus

Bird Research on CD's.

To: <>
Subject: Bird Research on CD's.
From: "GEORGE OAKES" <>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 15:01:48 -0800
Hi all,
Recently I obtained a CD with the complete New Guinea Bird Society Newsletters commencing from their first one in 1965. They are fascinating reading especially as I was in Papua New Guinea for 22 years up to PNG Independence in 1975, and spent 11 years patrolling various parts, although at the time I was not interested in birds. I became interested in studying birds after I retired in 1992.
I think it would be marvellous and very useful if Birds Australia, BOCA and ABSA put all the issues of Emu, Australian Bird Watcher and Corella and its predecessor on CD's. I do not recall that this has been done. To cut down the cost this could possibly be done by volunteers interested in computers or alternatively could be taken up by Universities or perhaps the CSIRO. I only has to be done once and it is then available forever.
Last year I completed the Graduate Certificate course in Applied Science (Ornithology) at Charles Sturt University at Bathurst and my assignment preparation would have been assisted considerably if such CD's were available. They would be of tremendous help to anyone doing research. In fact, back issues of Wingspan and the Bird Observer would be useful also on CD.
I would be interested to hear the views of other Birding-Aus members.
George Oakes, Woodford, Blue Mountains.