birding-aus

Trip report Sth Island New Zealand

To: <>
Subject: Trip report Sth Island New Zealand
From: "Karen Pearson" <>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 22:19:46 +1100
Finally I have opportunity to do a trip report !!!  Since the 15/12 we
travelled the south island of New Zealand and while this was not a birding
holiday but a family one with 6yr & 18mth old in tow I just made sure I went
everywhere with my binoculars around my neck.  I thought it maybe of
interest to others of what you can see without too much effort in NZ.

7 Sperm whale -- (yes, I know they are not birds but when you see a sperm
whale raise its head out of the water next to the boat you are in , showing
off a huge salmon it has just caught between its teeth you cannot help but
mention it !!!!  Awesome ...)
NZ Fur Seals - everywhere, highlight was colony with pups
Mollymawk Albatross
Sooty shearwater
Paradise shelduck - 1
Mallard
New Zealand Scaup
Australasian Harrier  (everywhere)
Pukeko (Purple Swamphen)  - 1
Black-backed Gull  (everywhere, at first thought they were some sort of
raptor as all over farmland, paddocks etc)
Red-billed gull
Black-billed gull
Kea - 1 (VERY cheeky parrot)
Yellow Crowned Parakeet - 1
Long-tailed cuckoo - 1
Yellow Head
Brown creeper
Green finch
New Zealand Robin - 3
Starling
Sparrow
Blackbird
White fronted Tern
Bell bird
Tui -1
Redpoll
Goldfinch
Fantail
Pied Oystercatcher
Variable Oystercatcher
Grey teal
Chesnut Teal
Feral Goose - 1
White faced heron
Silvereye
Little shag
Australasian gannet
Cirl bunting
Spotted shag
Stewart Island Shag
Royal Albatross (3 nesting at Taiaroa headland)
Yellow eyed penguin - 10 + chicks
Black swan
Song Thrush
Dunnock
California Quail - 1

What I didn't see and thought I might was a NZ Pigeon - only got to see one
in an avairy.  Best bird -- New Zealand Robin, cutest and friendliest bird
you'd ever meet.... I later read in my field guide "Inquisitive and
confiding"  -- you certainly couldn't get a better description anywhere !
By the way, New Zealand is brilliant !!!

Rgds
Karen, Hampton VIC.