birding-aus

wetlands work at Cronulla

To: "Birding-aus" <>, "Mike Patrick" <>
Subject: wetlands work at Cronulla
From: "Brian Everingham" <>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 12:28:45 +1100
Mike and birding-aus
Faye and I spent two hours down at the wetlands site opposite Cronulla High
School today. This is our first visit since the RTA, DUAP, NPWS work has
been done and the first time I have noticed the shallowing of the eastern
shoreline, the new sluice gates and the tidal flow in operation.

In the time we were there we noted 28 species of birds and of note to the
work in question that included Bar-tailed Godwit, Pied Oystercatcher,
Black-winged Stilt and Black-fronted Dotterel. One person who was there when
we arrived also said he had just seen two Common Greenshanks but they had
just left.

In addition the Musk Duck and Whistling Kite are both still present as are
breeding Purple Swamphen and a most obliging Buff-banded Rail.

Now the that reed beds on the eastern edge are removed it would now appear
that the Clamorous Reed-warblers are either gone or moved to the SE corner
and the Southern Emu-wren and Golden-headed Cisticola have also gone.

Some questions and observations:
1. I believe that Phil Straw did the design work for this project. If so
could Phil contact me with some details about the plans now and in the
future targeted species, maintenance of the site and the work schedule.

2. I would also be most interested in knowing a little more about how the
NPWS, RTA and/or DUAP intend to follow-up this work. There is much bitou
bush that needs attention on the eastern edge and the current new plantings
are in dire need of watering. Perhaps the volunteer team brought together to
help keep Towra Point in reasonable condition might be asked to continue
into this present site. Funding would be appreciated.

3. This is an example of compensatory wetlands, given that the RTA destroyed
much of the Eve St wetlands at Arncliffe. Monitoring this site and the
Arnclifffe site over time is crucial to make an effective judgement as to
whether this is an adequate mechanism for development applications.

Brian Everingham
PO Box 269
Engadine
NSW 2233