birding-aus

Painted Honeyeaters at Jondaryan, Qld

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Painted Honeyeaters at Jondaryan, Qld
From: "Gloria Glass" <>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 19:30:58 +1000
This morning Helen Wilson and I watched a pair at what has become a favoured site for these birds. They seemed to be hunting for insects along dead branchlets at the tops of trees. We saw the female gobble something. Immediately afterwards, she inspected a cobweb closely, but there were no insects in it. Later the male flew to a clump of mistletoe which had ripe fruit, but we didn't see him eating.

Directions for anyone who is unfamiliar with the site: Go along the Warrego Highway about 10 km west of Oakey (2.5 km east of Jondaryan). Turn left down the road to Oakey Golf Club, but park on the left of the bitumen opposite the golf club entrance. The Painted Honeyeaters have often been seen in the wooded road reserve fronting the Warrego Highway. The wooded land behind the fence has been left as a nature reserve by the landholder.

Gloria Glass