birding-aus

Lake Wallace, Wallerawang

Subject: Lake Wallace, Wallerawang
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 14:13:40 +1100
Hi all,

Took my regular Thursday group to Lake Wallace (at Wallerawang, near
Lithgow NSW) this morning, where the highlights included:

Three Buff-banded Rails seen just after we arrived at 7.30am, two of which
were casually wandering along the edge of the track while we watched from
the cars. Penny Drake-Brockman reported these back in August, so I was
pleased to see that they are still around. This morning's birds were on the
western side of the lake. As you drive in the main entrance, take the right
fork, then right again and follow the track with the lake on your left. The
rails were in a dip where gravel has been placed on the road, and long
grass on either side.

At least two Musk Ducks in full display mode, splashing around in circles
with tail fanned and bill lobe extended, looking like a prehistoric
monster. (This really impressed some members of the group!)

The Clamorous Reed-Warblers were singing their hearts out everywhere. There
were also a few Little Grassbirds in the reedbeds and Golden-headed
Cisticolas behind the sailing club building.

A small group of Little Ravens flying across the water, calling.

With so much water around elsewhere it's not surprising that we didn't find
the usual variety of waterbirds here - we saw no Black Swans, herons,
egrets or spoonbills, not even any Grey Teal. And we couldn't find one
Great Crested Grebe (a little disappointing as I had told the group that we
would probably see them - always a mistake!). We did see about a dozen
Hardheads though, and as usual many coots and moorhens, etc.

Cheers

Carol

Carol Probets
Katoomba NSW
In the World Heritage listed Blue Mountains!