birding-aus

You should'a seen theTick on that Leech that was on the Boar that was ch

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: You should'a seen theTick on that Leech that was on the Boar that was chasing Me.
From: "Colin Clarke" <>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 14:25:47 -0500
G'Day All:

Would people please let me know when (and where) they will be in the <Jungle> whilst wearing white clothes, two pairs of socks, pantyhose and leech socks, doused in permethrin, other mosquito repellents, maybe tick repellent, carrying metho, bathroom mirrors and table salt, with bulging eyelids and, I assume, a bewildered look.

I just want to advise my Sunday School group (Yr 6 - Yr 9) not to be alarmed (although they will be if that's all you're wearing!).  Meanwhile, they will continue their buddy system of continuous vigilance against that most persistent part-time parasite - the leech.     [ Just kidding about the Sunday School.]

For what it is worth, I spent nearly 25 years running, walking, crawling or laying around in wet and dry scherophyll forest, rainforest and desert, in all parts of the world (and that included long duration 'don't move or breathe' ambush patrols), and leeches were just another thing to put up with.  They can get in the most unmentionable places, too.  But I reckon they are not as bad as small bush flies in a 'bad' season, or as unforgiving as snakes, scorpions or spiders.  And then, fellow birders, there is The Tick. "Be afraid, be very afraid".  In my experience, ticks caused more casualties and serious illness than all the other 'nasties' combined.  A careless de-ticking attempt, and a pin-sized head left under the skin, spells Trouble.

Several of the mosquito and tick repellents liberally and periodically applied at all clothing boundaries and inside seams etc. will help, and a cigarette or some salt will certainly help a graceful and safe departure of the offending beast. But the trick is having a 'buddy' system because four eyes and four hands and 360 degrees coverage is what you need - modesty permitting.  I also have a theory that leeches attack clean people, which could explain their waiting under the water for the 'washee'.

But if you are on your own and have no buddy, well ... try white clothes, two pairs of socks, pantyhose and leech socks, doused in permethrin, other mosquito repellents, maybe tick repellent, and carry metho. and table salt and two or three bathroom mirrors.  Oh, and take a cell phone.  :-)

Cheers !

PS.  Don't throw bricks at me ... it's Monday already, and America still doesn't have a new President.  Would Hawkey or Andrew be available, or does anyone have a Drover's Dog ?

Colin Clarke
Mount Pleasant SC 29464 USA
32N.8517    79W.8228

'The desk is a dangerous place from which to watch the world'.
John Le Carre, Writer.