birding-aus

Koel send off

To: Max O'Sullivan <>
Subject: Koel send off
From: John Gamblin <>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 18:28:11 -0800 (PST)
G'day Max,

Max why should I want to strangle you my great friend?
It's a case that YOUR own stress level must be through
the roof? and therfore that's a worry to all the
parents of the prim and proper students you teach?

Please Max, close your eyes take deep long breaths of
fresh air, far away from the bicycle shed? relax and
think of nothing else except, weebill's and fairy
wren's hopping about close to there nest sites.

Max, what was there first the school or the birds? are
they, your local birds, now in fact saying to you, hey
"Mad Max" all that talk and not to much about us? out
here? or TO us for that matter, try it my good friend
it does calm the beast in us all. Or take your class
out, at your expense of course, to a day at the
"Gabba".

You could try "The Times" cryptic "crowsword" puzzle
always good for an hour or so I find, it calms the
brain cells whilst fixing computers. Well I find life
that way down here in Vicmexico?

Pulls down my slumbering sombero and ZZZZZzzzzzz

Max O'Sullivan <> wrote:

Edwin wrote about the distractions caused by Koels and
their ilk. I have experienced the irritating and
monotonous call of the Koel whilst marking Year 12
test papers at Brisbane Girls'Grammar School.

Aaaaah so it's the year 12 test papers that is the
real fault eh?

They were so annoying that I got up from my marking,
located it and hunted it out of the tree beside the
marking room window - much to the relief of the other
200+ markers.

Another problem bird is the crow which hangs around
school playgrounds. One sat on a railing outside a
classroom earlier this year skwarking(sp!) constantly
whilst I was trying to deliver a most scintillating
talk. Again a thrown open window beside the bird was
the only way I could shut it up.

Whilst teaching in Cairns, I had to frequently kick
Indian Mynahs squabbling outside a classroom when
trying to inspire the masses in things Mathematical.

There's the answer they say the weather affects one up
there after a while :-]

And what could be more annoying to little kiddies
doing exams in November than a bloody juvenile Pee-wee
begging for food beside the hard-test room!

Try raising a few birds to see how trivia your
statement is my good friend.

On a more pleasant note, when I first arrived in
Cairns and taught for awhile at Cairns High, I was
baffled for days by a call that was extremely
pleasant, probably, in retrospect, because it was new
to me but I couldn't
locate the bird - even though it was right beside the
window in a bushy tree. Finally after days, I realised
it was a Brown Honeyeater and was pleasantly surprised
to find such a call coming from such a plain bird. I
must confess it tends to grate a little now especially
when you are trying to locate a "new" call that
excites you. It's a bit like having your position
given away by shrieking plovers when you are
ever-so-quietly trying to creep up on that Little
Bittern or Spotless Crake - that's when strangulation
should be permitted!

Once Bittern, twice shy (albatross) eh

Take and asprin and go lie down my friend, I know not
what ails you.

John A. Gamblin