birding-aus

Some thoughts on the Melbourne Koel

Subject: Some thoughts on the Melbourne Koel
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 10:53:59 +1100
I, too, doubt that the presence of Koels in Melbourne is only
due to the winds although the earliest record I have for my area
- Bayside - was on the day of a hot northerly in November 1986.

That was a female and single females were very probably seen in
the area for seven successive summers in all (usually arriving
within a few days of the Melbourne Cup race). They were seen at
two sites, 1km apart, the main site being a very large garden
with several Moreton Bay Fig trees (and breeding Red Wattlebirds
and Magpie-Larks as potential hosts).

This year's Yarra Bend bird also arrived around Cup Day and has
been (mainly?) in imported fig trees.

I guess that like many migrants they can overshoot (or come by
horse box!?) and then stay if they find suitable habitat, even -
as the local records suggest - returning to the same spot in the
hope that a partner will arrive.

I wonder what Philip Veerman's Canberra garden birds study says
about Koels ?

Michael Norris
Melbourne