birding-aus

Re: Magpie mimicry

To: Syd Curtis <>
Subject: Re: Magpie mimicry
From: John Gamblin <>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 15:32:14 -0800 (PST)
G'day Syd, and all,

I am really chuckling today, as very early am, Mum and
Dad magpie came down with the three young ones to have
a bath in the water bowl out front, I put it out for
them for ease of keeping an eye on them, and they feed
on worms from the longish grass out back. Mum and Dad
hop in first and really enjoy then two of the three
juveniles. The last juvenile hops in and within
seconds is giving a bad Dad impersonation. I suppose
that only goes to prove that nothing beats a real true
"BIG MAC" eh? :-] sounds right to me? eh? sorry mate
runs away really ashamed I said that :-] hehehe I've
just thought re: the sound of the Mac Truck they must
be making Mac Trucks much much quieter eh? Dad
magpie's was very very quiet? but quite clearly
audible.

Syd Curtis <> wrote:

John Gamblin described a magpie mimicking a dog
barking and the meow of a cat.

Somewhere about the house I have a tape of a broadcast
Norman Robinson made on ABC radio many years ago,
mainly about lyrebirds, but in the course of
discussing their mimcry he played a recording of a
magpie mimicking the neighing of a horse.

Syd