birding-aus

Little Bronze-Cuckoos in the Sydney Region

To: <>
Subject: Little Bronze-Cuckoos in the Sydney Region
From: "Allan Morris" <>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 18:54:29 +1100
Hi Birders,
Edwin Vella queried whether Little Bronze-Cuckoos have previously been recorded in the Sydney Region of NSW and suggested that the bird seen earlier this week my Dion Hobcroft is probably the second Sydney record.
While I am happy to be corrected, I cannot find and therefore am unaware of any previous Sydney record. The species is not listed in the book "The Birds of Sydney" by E.S. Hoskin 1991and is not mentioned in any subsequent NSW Annual Bird Reports up to the 1998 Draft. Originally the species was recorded only as far south as the Clarence Valley, where it was first reported in 25 November 1966. It was subsequently reported further south near Kempsey in 1981 but I can find no details. In 1986 it was found near Nambucca Heads where it now regularly occurs. It was refound at East Kempsey by Ken Shingleton in 1991 and is seen there and at South West Rocks (both in the Macleay Valley) subsequently. There are no published accounts south of Kempsey. I am unaware of any submissions to the NSWORAC on a subsquent extension of range for the species.

Alan Morris
NSWFOC Records Officer.