birding-aus

Bird watching etiquette on roads

Subject: Bird watching etiquette on roads
From: Peter Woodall <>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 12:09:16 +1000
At 18:34 11/11/2000 +1000, you wrote:
>David Geering wrote:

 snip

>> I don't believe I am writing this, it's all road safety common sense.  I
>> mentioned this issue to someone birdwatching (and badly parked) in the
>> valley a few weeks ago.  Their response was that people drove too quickly on
>> these roads.  They missed the point entirely!  It is your responsibility not
>> to endanger other road users.  I would hate to hear of a birdwatcher, or
>> local, being involved in an accident in this manner.
>

>Yes, sometimes I think a lot of us have a few wombat genes in our
>chromosones - I often come across "wombats" thoughtlessly wandering
>along bikepaths when I am riding to and from work.
>
>That said, you can often get better views of birds from your car [mobile
>hide] than you can on foot.
>
>I wonder if the people most at risk of doing something dumb on a busy
>road are those who lose their heads trying to tick a rare/presumed
>extinct lifer ...
>
>LK

Dear All,

I might be corrected on this, but I believe that Austin Roberts
was killed while birding at the roadside in the Transkei, South Africa,
in 1948.

He was the author of "The Birds of South Africa", first published in 1940,
which later became known as "Roberts' Birds of Southern Africa". For
many years this was the "bible" of birders in southern Africa but a much wider
range of people owned a copy. You could visit a farm way out in the bush and,
when they heard you were interested in birds, out would come a dogeared copy of
Roberts' and they'd show you the special birds on their property.

 He also wrote  "The Mammals of South Africa" which remained the classic
text until recent times.  I'm very pleased to have just obtained a copy!

So, please take care on the roads.....

Pete

Dr Peter Woodall                          email =
Division of Vet Pathology & Anatomy
School of Veterinary Science.             Phone = +61 7 3365 2300
The University of Queensland              Fax   = +61 7 3365 1355
Brisbane, Qld, Australia 4072             WWW  = http://www.uq.edu.au/~anpwooda
"hamba phezulu" (= "go higher" in isiZulu)