birding-aus

Little tern bands

To: "Jill Dening" <>
Subject: Little tern bands
From: "Peter Mitchell and Barbara Moss" <>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 11:21:12 +1100
hello Jill,
I am keeping records of bands for the Little Tern Taskforce.  As you probably know, we do a lot of banding with the Victorian Wader Study Group around the Gippsland lakes.  Your bird was possibly banded here, but it should have had a metal band above the yellow flag.  The possibilities are:

left pale green/red right metal/yellow  banded at Albifrons Island,Gippsland lakes on 13/3/99

left blue/red right metal/yellow banded at The Cut at the mouth of the Mitchell River in the Gippsland lakes on 24/1/99

left dark green/red right metal/yellow originally banded as a nestling at Manning River estuary in NSW on 25/11/98, flagged by us at Albifrons Island,Gippsland lakes on 13/3/99

All these birds were classed as southern breeding birds.

Could you please let us have more information -
was the bird in breeding or non-breeding or transitional plumage?
was it roosting on a beach or in a breeding colony?
was it showing courtship or nesting behaviour?

Do you have birds breeding at the site - or elsewhere this season.

Please add me to your list of contacts about banded Little terns.

best wishes, Peter Mitchell