birding-aus

Tuckfield Tea's bird album

Subject: Tuckfield Tea's bird album
From: David Stewart <>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 23:48:20 +1100
Yeah, the Tuckfield tea bird cards!  I was a kid too small to be drinking
tea at the time.  Opening a new pack of tea was an occasion, with all four
kids diving into the leaves to find the new card and determine whether we
already had that one.  We had lots, piles of swaps and at least some albums.
Dunno what happens to that stuff, it just dissipates doesn't it?  Each card
had to be pored over, had we seen that bird? Or was it something truly
exotic from The Mainland?  And I think there were nice wildflower
backgrounds too.  We thought the Black Duck was hilarious.  "The Black Duck,
also called the Brown Duck and the Grey Duck".
The next part of the ritual involved Dad (Len Wall) poring over it, frowning
and posturing, and inevitably pronouncing both the text and the picture to
be woefully inaccurate.

I am not a birdo (though am related to a few), and rarely look at Birding
Aus, but that subject line caught my eye and brought back all those kitchen
table memories.  Such is the magic of the internet, never mind the flame
wars and the spam and the trivia (LOL, ROTFL etc.)

Barbara :)