birding-aus

little bittern attempt # umpteen and three

To: <>
Subject: little bittern attempt # umpteen and three
From: "Andrew Stafford" <>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 20:25:52 +1100
Hi all,

In unseasonally cold and windy conditions at Sherwood Arboretum in Brisbane this afternoon, I failed once again to see the Little Bittern which was seen in the open yesterday around 4pm.

Still, a good couple of hours birding was had, with good views of Buff-banded Rails (2 together) and one Spotless Crake. I also had fleeting views of a very shy Baillon's Crake which popped up from the lilies to the left of the causeway and ducked down again so quickly I barely had time to register its identity.

Other good sightings were a Brahminy Kite cruising up the Brisbane River, a chance observation of a White-headed Pigeon belting through the park, and close views of many Little Lorikeets which are still feeding on the tall eucalypt trees close to the river (sorry, I don't know which species). Notable dip was Pacific Baza - first time in many visits I've missed it here.

Nice to get my mind back on birds again and away from our defamation laws! (PS thanks for all the good wishes).

Cheers

AS