birding-aus

flagged terns (search the sea weed banks)

To: Anna Lashko <>
Subject: flagged terns (search the sea weed banks)
From: Amytornis <>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 17:18:20 +1030
Hello Banders

Please accept my apology to the establishment in advance for the following
posting.
The message is not meant to be offensive but is intended to provide an
alternative
point of view.   I realise that it would have been better to have made this
suggestion earlier when the birds were netted, measured, (bled?), banded,
flagged,
(painted?), (wing tagged?) and catapulted.   And it is appreciated how much
dedicated
hard work already goes into this pass time so its not intended that another
laborious
task is also loaded onto you.

Its just that its a fair bet that if the sea weed banks above the high water
mark
were searched several hundred meters either side of where these birds were
trapped
most of the marked birds would have been located within 48 hours of being
released.

Banding birds in the name of conservation research and the banders would have
got
most of their tags back.

I hope this posting falls within the birding-aus guidelines.

Amytornis