birding-aus

Western Qld.Bird News

To: <>
Subject: Western Qld.Bird News
From: "Julie Lynn McLaren" <>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 17:17:29 +0930
I wasn't going to put anything more in for a while, but yesterday I had the privilege of watching a Letter-winged Kite for about 5 mins.I see these birds from time to time on my way into town but they always fly into the dense scrub of the Warrego River. This one was only about 2 klms. from the house in a Cypress Pine sandhill which comes up out of a little creek.The kite was at tree top level[about 30 feet] and flew from side to side only a little bit higher with each pass. I got the binoculars out and watched it slowly soar higher and higher until it was out of sight.I was on my way down to my son, 50 klms. from here, to help in the sheep yards and wasn't looking forward to it at all.After seeing this beautiful bird for so long and having such a great view of it, my day was made, and the sheep work was no problem at all.
We've had a little bit of rain here and the weather has been beautiful.
The Striated Pardalote is busy in the little hole in the wall, so here's hoping another lot of chicks will be up and flying before it heats up again.
The day after it rained we were expecting a lot of people for lunch, after they had driven down to the creek, that wasn't possible, so they walked around the house paddocks for a while and saw a Spotted Bowerbirds  playground which he is sprucing up [should it be bower?]and heaps of the other birds we have in the house surrounds. I think the highlight of the few hours was, while we were having lunch our Spiny-cheeked Honeyeaters were being very busy and we discovered their nest about 3 metres above us, in the tree which we were having lunch under.
The Red-capped Robins are in abundance and I saw a lot on my way down to the sheep work as well as a Nankeen Kestrel. Ian says there is a pair of these nesting in a big Bloodwood tree not far from where I saw the Kite.
I was running very late to the dreaded sheep as I also stopped and watched some Hall's Babblers underneath a patch of very shady Mulga trees.We have a lot of Chestnut-crowned Babblers hopping around the house yard every day.I think the colours of this bird are quite magnificent, and no illustration or photograph could possibly do it justice.
Our Whitewood trees have been flowering for some time now and I've noticed that the Suplejacks will follow them. Over the years I have noted that one species of tree usually starts to flower when another one is just about to finish and set seed, thereby providing a fairly continual supply of food for lots of animals.The Lignum is also flowering at the moment and if you get the chance, have a look at these  little flowers, they are quite beautiful and delicate looking.
There's heaps more on our birds but will leave it for another message.
Cheers,
Julie McLaren.
"Bowra", Cunnamulla,Qld.4490

PH.  O746551238