birding-aus

Hear Hear brother .....

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Hear Hear brother .....
From: John Gamblin <>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 00:42:04 -0700 (PDT)
G'day Lorne,
I am thinking of sending a few carcases to Robert
Hill?
he is still the minis stewer of the environment eh?
wonder would say 50,000 do the trick? to match my MP's
phone bill? or was that his son's mobile? no his
wife's? ummm silly me I bet he's got a daughter and a
Nan hidden somewhere? :-]

JAG

If you think your pissed off think how much public
money went in to the muttonbird rookery? let alone all
the hard yakka. Stay warm and dry good friend keep the
heat up would you. Must be worth a penguin or two?
that's the POME edible variety of course ......

lorne <> wrote:

The 7:30 Report's segment on deforestation and birds
in Australia, was quite interesting, and depressing.
Out of it came the following...

* 10 million hectares of Australia has been cleared
for agriculture in the last 20 years, particularly in
the Murray-Darling basin. This clearing constitutes an
area the size of half of Victoria.

Must be expecting a huge boom in the Oz population eh?
land claer to plant food crops for the populace? hope
no one eats red algal bloom tainted fish in that case?

* 200 000 hectares of forest is cleared in Queensland
every six months.

Wow and think how much chemicals are used in with the
clearing eh?

* 1 in 5 Aussie birds are threatened by clearing.

Only threathened though? (I was told at my English
school that sarcasm is a great cleansing agent :-])

* 25 have become extinct.

I bet if the Oz pollies were to really try they could
do much better then that?

BASICALLY - LAND CLEARING IS KILLING OUR BIRDS!!!!!!!
AND IT BLOODY WELL PISSES ME OFF!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE
FIGHT IT - SPREAD THE WORD, THINK ABOUT VEGETARIANISM,
DON'T BUY OLD GROWTH TIMBERS, WRITE TO POLITICIANS...
ETC.
ETC.
DON'T SAY - "WHAT CAN I DO?"

Scott Field from a uni in Adelaide, Geoff Barrett of
Birds Australia and Hugh Possingham of the University
of Queensland were all featured.

Yours in solidarity,
Lorne.

Thank you brother Lorne. Dark clouds gathering here.