birding-aus

*Rain glorious Rain .....*

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: *Rain glorious Rain .....*
From: John Gamblin <>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 17:13:57 -0700 (PDT)
G'day All,
We are on day three/four here of some very useful
rains and yep this ancient player with water at BHP is
smiling. As are so many other birds that use it to
soften the ground and retrieve their food.

Glad they got that fella out of his tree near Bendigo.

Whilst on the same type of issue for forgive me but
did
many see the news item about 2 year old Lachlan in
Brisbane? his Mum fell over in the shower and knocked
herself out? he phoned 000, yep a 2 year old. I think
if ever we had a minister of emergency services in the
making then that's him :-]

Went to my local park early this am and watched the
kids bathe whilst hanging upside down, if ever their
was a golden opportunity for a good advertising exec
then that was one.

Oz Human talks to Galahs asking,
"Whatya doin"
British accent Galah replies,
"Just hanging about"
Oz Human,
"English eh"
Galah
"How did you guess"

Advert then says don't get caught waiting, join Birds
Australia more fun then you could have on a rainy day.

With the dark clouds being what they are then I had to
take a double look as I walked the wet ground in front
of the Western Port Marina, as a close flying group of
16 Pelicans headed my way. Thoughts in my head of a
fast approaching cyclone were quickly dispersed as one
rang out a soft "honk" gargle gurgle that will teach
HONKERS to sing in the rain I thought? :-] Honkers did
say good fishing though .....

:-]

Car strike victim yesterday in Town seems to be
mending nicely and being well cared for by local ppls.
A very young Scaly-breast tried to be an imitation Ice
Skater when it clipped the car turning into to
supermarket car park and skidded doing circles in the
car park. Yep it hit the car not the car hit it?
probably drunk on nectar I'd say? wonder if they will
haul him up in front of the beak?

Progress on the Council organized, walk from Hastings
to eventually Crib Point is coming along very well,
some spots are superb for birding, and affording a
good birding positions. I'll let all know just where,
when and the total, when work is done? Just take you
own fold out chair and in fact you have your own
little spot of heaven.

I am now at this time proud of my council and many
that serve on it ..... it's a tough job and needs a
good balancing act.

Were told this rain should ease off by tonight with
good weather for this area forecast for the
Twitchathon Weekend this weekend. If "Monty" the
weatherman has it wrong I think he should pay each
twitchathon team for his incorrectness, eh? what say
we all on that one.

Well it really is raining heavily now time to start up
another quiz eh? sadly not one taker for the last one.

Stay warm and dry everyone.

JAG

=====
2001 a Western Port "Bird Odyssey"