birding-aus

Tasmanian birding and Peter Murrell Nature Reserve

To: "" <>
Subject: Tasmanian birding and Peter Murrell Nature Reserve
From: Greg Anderson <>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 09:32:17 -0000
I was in Hobart on business last week and allocated a couple of days to
look for two endemic species which had eluded me on my first trip to
Tasmania many years ago as a novice birder - Forty-spotted Pardalote and
Dusky Robin.  I had intended to go to Bruny Island for these birds, but
first checked out Peter Murrell Nature Reserve only about 15 minutes south
of Hobart.

Within a few minutes of arriving I found Forty-spots near the dam.  They
were feeding quite close to the ground, no higher than 5-6 metres and were
the common pardalote there.  One bird was carrying food into a burrow, so
presumably they are breeding.  My other target was Dusky Robin and a pair
was present right near the carpark.  Other Tasmanian endemics I saw there
were Yellow Wattlebird, Yellow-throated Honeyeater, Black-headed Honeyeater
and Tasmanian Native Hen.  A Brush bronzewing along the trail behind the
dam was also notable for a Queenslander like myself.

The non-birding highlight was undoubtedly one, and possibly two, Platypus
in the dam.

This is an excellent reserve and is easily reached.  My attention was first
drawn to it by Murray Lord on Birding Aus last year.  His directions were
clear and accurate and I have included them here for reference:

"It is called the Peter Murrell Nature Reserve and is at Huntingfield, just
south of Hobart. To get there take the Southern Outlet from Hobart,
following the signs to Blackmans Bay when you get to the end. Continue
onwards until you get to the Australian Antarctic Division offices. Just
afterwards you get to a roundabout (where traffic to Blackmans Bay goes
left). Go straight on and turn left about fifty metres after the
roundabout. Continue along that road for, I guess, almost a kilometre until
you come to the very large Vodafone building. Immediately after that you
will see a sign to the reserve. Turn left onto the dirt track and drive
200m to the end." [Note that the track runs alongside the Vodafone building
so Murray does mean to turn "immediately"]

Richard Johnson also sang the praises of this reserve earlier this year and
in last Saturday's Hobart Mercury there was an article by Don Knowler on
the reserve and its Pardolates.

I managed to see 11 endemics on that day between the Peter Murrell Reserve,
Fern Tree and Mount Wellington.  I only missed Strong-billed Honeyeater but
picked that up the following day.  My most memorable birding moment of the
trip was not one of the endemics, but a spectacular male Flame Robin in the
snow at Lake Dobson in Mt Field National Park.

It was a very productive short trip.

Regards to all

Greg

Greg Anderson