birding-aus

Camphor laurels

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Camphor laurels
From: Andrew <>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 13:25:26 +1000
Well, birding-ausers, is this the beginning of the end for the camphor
laurels of the Sunshine Coast?  The "Cooroy Rag" reports on plans to
re-open an old sawmill in Pomona to mill camphor laurels for camphor oil
and the manufacture of finished timber items.  It would be run by a
co-op and employ 5 permanents and 15 trainees and "it would operate in
conjunction with a revegetation program aimed particularly at riparian
areas."  If it goes ahead, it will be interesting to note any effect
upon the white-headed pigeons that frequent the area.
I also note that the latest newletter of the Noosa Landcare group
reports claims by Phillip Trendell (WWF Mary River Cod Habitat Extension
Officer) that camphor laurel leaves and fruit contain the poison safrole
and "this can cause sterility in birds which eat them, but the overall
impacts on our native birds is not known."  This was a topic hotly
discussed on birding aus a while back.  Well, it seems we're about to
find out here on the Sunshine Coast!  Let's hope that every camphor
laurel taken out is replaced by a native food source for the birds that
have come to rely on them for at least part of their diet.
Andrew Thelander
Cooran